Thursday, January 2, 2014

What is so Special About Being Normal Anyway?

To be honest I forget the last time I wanted to be "normal", but when I was young I did. As I grew older, I realized that this is an idea that is set by the majority that thinks it is better then most people.  Why would one want to be part of a group  that takes aways your personality, your identity? I like standing of from the crowd, how are you going to make a different in this crazy world and leave your mark? Not to say, you should total go against the grain. If you go to for over the line, people will not take you seriously. I forget the last time I used the word "normal" in a conversation, because that world puts limitations on what you can accomplish in life.

A few years ago, I went to a planning meeting for a friend as an advocate and some how the word "normal" started to be use in reference to "normal" behavior on the web. I started to think, here I am in a room with people that spend their life in the disabled community and they were using this word as if this is how it should be and there are no exceptions. I mean what the hell is "normal" in the life of a person with a disability? My goal in life is to be accepted, not to fit into the idea of what somebody calls "normal".

As long as my way of life is safe and healthy, I do not care about what is seen as "normal".  This is only another perception that leads me to the conclusion that being disabled needs to be thought more as a life style. The fact is that no matter what I do, my life will not be "normal". My fight in life is to be accepted for who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment