Thursday, October 7, 2010

FINALLY! Telling Gravity Where To Go


All of my life I wanted to do stuff that defies gravity, as jumping off our clubhouse roof, for a couple seconds of freedom. Also life risking sports as hang gliding, or parachuting. I guest it has been a way to give my body a break from the fight of gravity, or the ultimate lack of control that everyone feels when doing these sports.
I finally got to go on a zip line when we were in Tenn. It took us three tries to set it up, but was worth the wait. The first time we went to Wahoo Zip line http://www.wahoozip.com/ we were too late for that run. Went back the first thing in the morning and they did not have enough staff. So we set up to go later that day. Have you ever seen the harness that one needs to put on. It is a full body harness, so when you are on the line it holds you like a baby sling. That was the only thing I was worry about, could I lean back wards and turn up side down but I could not.
As we pulled up to the first tower, they said I could not do all the lines because of access to the towers. I am sure other people would be mad since they paid full price. Not me, because the staff has to work twice as hard carrying my ass up and down the towers, Dena and I were driven from tower to tower in a bob cat cart and I still got to go on the best line of the course. Even if I only went on one line, it would have been worth the experience.
It was not scare getting hooked in and I was really relaxed. You would think my body would be super wired, but it was nice and calm. When I was on the line my body just felt like jello, taking the shape of the harness and flowing into the wind. I really did not keep any memories of my body fighting. I was just there enjoying the ride.
The staff was great the hole time, when we got back to the office they all signed a T-shirt for me. That day was to put the human back into everyone’s soul.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you got to do that Dan! It reminds me of when I worked to help people with disabilites waterski. Anything is possible and I love it that you don't let anything stand in your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT IS AWESOME. Just. Plain. Awesome. I am away right now, and when I get home I am showing Max right away. I hope it inspires him to get up there too and stop being so chicken about it!!! And, dude, I owe you questions, I KNOW. I have been running approximately a year behind in getting stuff done.

    ReplyDelete