Monday, October 5, 2015

My Computer is so Old...


My name is Dan Keplinger also known as King Gimp; subject of the Academy Award winning short documentary, that won an Oscar in 2000. I am a professional artist with Cerebral Palsy and I have been very dedicated to my craft for the past 30 years. My paintings been nationally and internationally displayed in galleries from New York City to Chengdu, China. I not only use art as a language to express myself, but as a tool to bring awareness to the disabled community through public speaking and live drawing events. I have always said, “My paintings are not for decoration but instead made for conversation”. 
 
One of the most important tools in my daily life, is my computer. I have spastic Cerebral Palsy which hinders my motor skills. When I am in public I have a translator to assist with all my needs but when I am home on my computer I have the ability to do all of my communications independently. On an daily base, I spend 8 – 10 hours sitting at my computer from creating art to book speaking engagements. I also create graphics for social media to draw attention to my art. I have been using a Mac Pro computer since 2008, with great sadness I will have to say farewells of my loyal friend. Without my computer, I am not able to communicate independently as I wish, to continue working as and public figure, nor remain working as an artist with multiple mediums in technology.

This is the budget that would I would need obtain to continue my work as an Artist and advocate for people with disabilities.
 
IMac 27-inch with Retina 5K Display- $2,199.99

3.5GHz Quad-core Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Fusion Drive.

2 CRUCIAL 16G 8X2D3 memory chips $169.98

Apple Keyboard with Num. keypad $49.99

Microsoft Office 365 $49.99

3 Year Apple Care $169.99

WACOM CINTIQ 22HD $1,999.99

Total: $ 4,639.93


I am in search of funding for a new IMAC/Apple computer, Office 65/warranty/expandable keyboard with built in mousepad and WACOM CINTIQ. I have already invested in Adobe Creative Cloud that is $350 a year and other software for photo and video editing. My computer is not only a creative outlet but it’s the gateway to my independence.

Some people might start a go fund me page, but would be willing to sale a digital image of any painting, or drawing on http://www.kinggimpstudio.com for $100! This funds will go towards the repair of my computer. If you think this is a fair offer please share?


The real drawing start @ $1,200.
Real painting start @ $2,500.
Digital Art for $600
More Art

I have already contact the "Brit" foundation, Jill Fox, Parkville Lions Club, Red Hat Society, and Kiwanis Club, to see if they could help with some funding. The "Brit" fund has showed interested in help me. Can anyone please let me know if there are other places I could contact for financial aid. The "Brit" Fund has granted me $2,500.00 if I can raise the matching funds myself.

Sincerely,
Dan Keplinger

No comments:

Post a Comment