Saturday, October 5, 2013

Great Way to Kick Off Disability Awareness Month (Visit to Tyler)

First of all I would Like to thank Professor Lisa Kay for invite me to Tyler School of Art and all the work she did to make this event possible. She had a full schedule for me and Wifey, we arrived on Wednesday and went to her art Ed. class for a drawing demonstration, it went better then I expected.  I am one of those artist that likes to work it private, but at the same time was a way to everyone relax and start the conversation. I was taking questions and talking plus most students were sitting on the floor while was working. I am sure that this was the first time they have seen this way of creating art.

During my visit to the class room, I was talking about some of the projects that I have in the works. For example, how I trying to set up an internship at Towson U. for a painting student to help me in my studio. Before I left the Temple campus, I had one studio ask me for the details of the internship. Too bad I am from Maryland, or I would have already filled the position.

I also had a guess with me, just over a year ago I received an email Amy Soppet Taklif. She has been working on a book about disabilities relationships and sexuality, Amy has been trying to interview Wifey and I for a year. It just happened that Temple U. was not far from her house so she met us that night to do the interview. After the visit to the class we returned to the hotel with along with a few cocktails to talk about our relationship.  I think, it turned into a three hour interview, but it was fun talking about the stuff that most people are too afraid to mention.


The next morning we got up to go hang my work in the contemporary art gallery, I am very impression by what the gallery Director is doing with his space. Rob is making the gallery into just a white cube to view art. For half of the week artist are working in the gallery to prepare the show and the other half of the week he is in the gallery having people interact with the work.  Wifey and I returned to the gallery at 5 p.m. for engagement,  is was very well publicized, all around the building were signs saying the King is come.  In addition, my face was on the big screen as everyone walk into the building.  Every seat was taken and some people were even standing.  I even heard that a couple of Temple's football players came into the gallery, first they were standing in the back and by the end they were sitting in the front row.

The next morning before our departure, there was a breakfast with members from some of the other departments on campus. The idea was that we had this great event to grab people's attention, now how do they capitalize on the momentum to raise disability awareness thought their whole campus?  I often say my art work is not meant for decoration, but to start conversations. Maybe that is the meaning of  my existence, not to be guy to change rules, but to creator a new way of thinking that leads to better things.

It is amazing how a event like this can recharge our batteries, both as a couple and as a public figure.  I did not come away from this gig thinking it was my best ever, but I did get the most full filled from. Maybe because, it was well rounded. I got to share some of art, some of my life as a disabled person and some of our life as a couple.  It is not enough for me to just share our story, but to know that people walk away with a new perspective on life!

If you think this seem to be a awesome event, you should want I have instore with Service Coordination to end this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment