Monday, October 25, 2010

FEB Disability Employment and Awareness Training Conference/ Iowa National Rehabilitation Institute Conference

It was another double header week, on Wednesday we spoke at the FEB Disability Employment and Awareness Training Conference and the next day we flew to Iowa for the Iowa National Rehabilitation Institute Conference. The first engagement was straightforward, just go do my thing and give people a lot to think about. As we pull in the parking lot Dena was amazed to see how they reserved a space for us.

The audience was made of federal workers and Veterans; after I did my speech I was given a challenge coin. I was told that this coin should be with me at all times, because any officer could ask to see it. If I could not produce my coin, I would need to do 50 push-ups. I am of course shooting myself in the toe by putting this out there.

Another attendee so happened to work with Paul Perrooka years ago and I knew Paul from the school bus and other circles. After the gentleman heard my address, he felt bad that he did not give Paul more opportunities in life, or to express himself. My response was now he has a new approach for his current and future clients.

The next day Dena and I wear off to Iowa for the National Rehabilitation Institute Conference. Due to a schedule conflict, we could not arrive until the second day. It really work to our advantage, before we went to the hotel we stopped at Wal—mart. I am sure the students that picked us up from the airport, loved seeing Dena walk to the car with beer. We got to the hotel just in time for lunch and some awards that the association gives out.

When I am asked to give the keynote address, at the last minute I always hope that my topic is portinate to the conference? That is what I liked about speaking on the last day of this conference. It must of really helped, since one attendee already ask me to come back to Iowa to present at a different conference.

I always say, I am more then just going to speak. Dena and I like to be social and that night started with some board games and a Celtic band, they played Danny boy by request. We showed up with our room’s ice bucket full of ice and beer. So groups should not worry when things get a bit wild. You are getting together with friends and piers that you see once a year. I am sure everyone has a kinggimp story, or 6.
When the last speaker and I were done the next morning, everyone was gone by 2. So Dena and I had quiet night to our selves!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment