Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An OT Class Project

I often receive emails from students in every field of study and professionals from various fields. I do not mind repeating my advice, I figured, if I keep blogs with general ideas they can email me questions that are more in depth. This week a class of OT students saw the film and now are doing a project on me.

“We just have a few questions for you. Have you ever participated in occupational therapy? If so, from your perspective, what advice can you give us regarding the relationship between the therapist and client? For example, what qualities do you like to see or admire about OT? What are things you remember most from your interaction with OT, whether positive or negative?”

I regularly received OT until the age of 13. Most of it was benefit, I learn how to use the head stick for typing, art and other things. I also work on using the straw and I still use these skills today. The other day I was eating a yogurt and Dena said how cute it was that I stuck my tongue out when she put the spoon in my mouth. Yeah but if you were an OT, you be going nuts from the tongue thrust.

I think, as kids get older they should become more of the team and have some input. I might have been shown a new solution to a problem. When I got home I may use the same tools, but find a new way to use that tool. I was about 22 before I could but my head stick on by myself. I just got home with a device that held the head stick up for me. It broke the first time I used it. I figured out to wedge it between my desk and keyboard so I could just slide my head into it.

I only had one thing that I really hated in OT. When I was about 7, they tried me taking myself to the bathroom. At that time jeans still had snaps, so I could undo that. They put a ring on my zipper; even at that age I was aware how other people see me. Why make myself more odd with rings on my pants zippers. Now I just buy my pants a bit loose, I can just slip them up and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment