Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Stereotypes Make people feel safe


This was inspired by an email I receive on Facebook. The person had a pen pal as a child with another child from Africa. Her image of her friend was the type you would see on an UNICEF commercial.  Then as she got older she fund out the things they had in common.

As she was caring her daughter, the Doctor made her aware that her child would be disabled. So she prepared for the worse, but after the birth she found a new way of life and even bettered her marriage.

People often look at Wifey as Mother Teresa for wanting to spend her life taking care of me.  They do not realize our marriage is a partner ship; we take care of each other.  We just have a different way of life and most people will never be able to comprehend that.

I do not mean to sound PC, I do not like when those lawyer commercial say birth mistake. Like shit my child is going to fail from birth, or the baby coming out of womb saying fuck me.  A disabled does mean a failed life, although periods of life are hell. 

Life with a disability just means more challenges and adventures. In fact it gives you permission to go off the path!  Yeah man, we are taking easy rider shit.

I think people need to but stereotypes for everything so they feel safe, that way they think they know everything and have nothing to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment