Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Spiritual Journey Chengdu, China


I knew that going to China would be a spiritual journey, but not in the form that it took. I was thinking that we would take a day trip to a Buddhist Temple, but sadly there was no time for that. Mr. Joe had everyday book up for us, we would leave the hotel at 9 a.m. and not get back until 10 at night. We at least we able to see a sample of the Buddhist tradition and at the shrine in town. Greg and I did light a candle for my brother Paul. It only seem fitting since when Paul was young people in the family would call him Buddha and when he opened his tattoo shop, he had a collection of Buddha figures. How more respect could it be than light a candle at a shrine, but he would rather it be done at a temple.

One night Mr. Joe took the Artists out for dinner, but before that  he invited us to his private studio. To me this was like going to his inner sanctum, this is where the master does his work and produces master pieces. Greg and I were talking and Mr. Joe's art has the status of what most Artists receive after death. So we walk into his basement that would be the size of a full school gym. There were crates full off his work and in the middle of the room he a few table but together covered with brushes, books and tubes of paint. I was just sitting there amazed by this sight, I was over come by all of this.  Then over in the corner I saw Mr. Joe's paint palette, I approached it as one would do as an alter, because this is where it all starts. This is the tool that lets him earn the type of living that lets him give back to his community and that brought as all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment